It is highly recommended that if you need to register to vote, that you do so prior to Election Day. Your registration remains current until you change your residence, change your name, or if you have not voted in multiple elections.
- Verify if you are already registered to vote at the Minnesota Secretary of State website or,
- Update or obtain a voter registration application or register online at the Minnesota Secretary of State website.
Proof of Residence
If you are unable to pre-register and need to register on Election Day, you must provide one of the following as proof of residence. Please check the Minnesota Secretary of State website for a the most accurate information.
- If you moved to a new residence within your same precinct or changed your name, a current voter registration in the precinct
- A photo ID that does not have your current address along with a document that doeshave your current address
- Eligible document with current address: current student fee statement, an original utility bill due 30 days before or after the election, or a rent statement that shows utility expenses
- Eligible utility bills: gas, electric, solid waste, etc.
- A student ID card that includes your photo (valid if your college/university provided a student housing list to election officials)
- A tribal ID card containing your name, current address, signature and photo (tribe must be recognized by the BIA)
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license, Minnesota ID card, or permit with current address
- Vouching: an employee of a residential facility where you reside (i.e. nursing home, group home, battered women’s shelter, homeless shelter, etc.) who will confirm your address with a signed oath at your polling location
- Vouching: a registered voter in your precinct who will confirm your address with a signed oath at your polling place - the person vouching must be a registered voter that was not vouched for on the same day
- A yellow receipt for a valid Minnesota driver’s license, Minnesota ID card, or permit with current address
- A “Notice of Late Registration” you receive from your County Auditor
Deadline Dates to Pre-Register for Elections
- Tuesday, July 19, 2022 for Primary Election
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022 for General Election