What to Do After a Crash

Following a motor vehicle crash, most people are upset and perhaps a little confused. We would like to minimize this confusion and uncertainty by helping you deal with procedural requirements as well as your legal responsibilities. The information listed below answers many of the questions frequently asked by traffic crash victims.

1. Driver Must Stop for Collision

The driver of any motor vehicle involved in a collision shall immediately stop the motor vehicle at the scene of the collision, or as close to the collision as possible, and reasonably investigate what was struck. If the driver knows or has reason to know the collision involves injury, death, damage to a vehicle driven or attended by another, damage to any unattended vehicle, or damage to property, the driver in every event shall remain at the scene of the collision until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of giving information as explained in Minnesota State Statute 169.09.

2. Drivers to Give Information:

When the crash involves death, injury, or an occupied motor vehicle, the driver’s must provide the driver’s name and date of birth, address, and vehicle license plate information. The driver must also upon request show the other party their driver’s license as well as provide the vehicle’s insurance information within 72 hours.

3. Drivers to Make Report:

Any driver involved in a motor vehicle crash must submit a completed Minnesota Motor Vehicle Crash Report to the State if:

  1. The crash involved an injury or death to a person
  2. The total damage to all property or vehicle vehicles involved in the crash exceeds $1,000

You must, within 10 days of the crash, complete and submit a Minnesota motor vehicle crash report to:

DVS/Crash Records
445 Minnesota Street
Suite 181
Saint Paul, MN 55101-5181

4. Insurance

Notify your insurance company and/or agent of the crash as soon as possible. In most cases, your agency will assist you with the preparation of your Minnesota Motor Vehicle Crash Report and will advise you of the financial and civil matters related to the crash.

Upon request, and within 72 hours of the crash, the driver shall give the name and address of the insurance company providing insurance coverage on a vehicle and the local insurance agent to the insurer of any person involved in the crash or to a Peace Officer investigating the collision.

5. Injuries

Even though there may be no apparent or minor injuries, you or your passengers may wish to consider a medical exam by a doctor.

6. Tickets/Citations

  1. At the scene
  2. Sent via U.S. Postal Service to your driver’s license address (why it’s important to update it)
  3. By personal delivery at later date

7. Towed Vehicles

If your vehicle is towed from the scene, it was either towed to a location of your choosing, or in most cases to:
Northstar Towing, Inc
833 North St
Anoka, MN 55303
Phone: 763-427-4160
Northstar Towning, Inc Website

In some cases, a police hold has been placed on the vehicle. In these cases, a vehicle release form will need to be picked up from the Anoka Police Department. Our Records Unit is open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm You may need proof of insurance, proof of ownership, and/or a licensed sober driver to pick up the vehicle so you may want to call first to find out why the vehicle is being held. You can call us at 763-576-2800

Most vehicles are towed from a crash scene because they are not drivable or they are traffic hazards. In these cases, you will not need a release and should contact your insurance company or agent about the next steps to take.